Volunteering with VGLRL
The Victorian Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby is run entirely by dedicated volunteers. Without our volunteers, the Lobby would cease to exist.
Therefore, we are always on the look-out for members who are willing to spare some of their time to help, whether by getting directly involved in the frontline organisation of our campaigns or the equally important task of managing the day-to-day operations of the Lobby.
Volunteers are encouraged to join one or more of the Lobby's working groups, depending on their skills and interest. Volunteers may choose to offer a small amount of their time to the Lobby on a weekly basis or to work for short intensive periods when they are most needed.
Our working groups:
- provide opportunity for people to work together on a task, make a contribution, meet other people and learn new skills with a small time commitment and without having to attend long committee meetings that deal with lobby-wide issues;
- enable the Committee of Management to focus on strategic issues, leaving operational issues and the day-to-day work of the lobby to working groups; and
- enable the lobby to greatly expand the amount of work it can get done.
We are currently looking for people to contribute to the following working groups:
- Communications (Website and Social Media Administration, Graphic Design & Media releases)
- Fundraising and Events Management
- Policy Development (including submission writing)
- Membership (Recruitment and administration)
- Volunteer Coordination
We also have a number of working groups that co-ordinate the strategy, activities and events behind our lobbying campaigns.
Our current campaigns include:
- Achieving Federal Equal Opportunity Laws
- My Marriage Story - The Equal Marriage Campaign
The Lobby needs people with all kinds of specialist skills, such as website and graphic designers, photographers, publicists, lawyers, public policy analysts and event organisers, as well as the all-important generalists - people who are willing to write letters, develop networks, raise funds, and provide general person-power to the Lobby.
The Lobby is an inclusive group that has a place for people of all skill levels. Volunteering for the Lobby is a rewarding experience that enables you to make a positive impact on your community, while gaining some new skills and getting to meet lots of passionate, like-minded people.